Sunday 9 February 2014

Ducks!

On Saturday I had a bit of time so I decided to go an have a look around for ducks on open water around my place. There were quite a few Goldeneye around doing there mating rituals bu they were pretty far off. I did find two hooded mergansers that were fairly close to shore:






With the snow that we got on Sunday I couldn't resist going to Bond Head in Newcastle. Much of the shore line of lake Ontario has frozen up, but here there is still a bit of open water were many ducks like to congregate. With no where else really to go they are pretty tolerant of people. I have been there a couple of times this winter and everytime there is a different mix of species of ducks. This time is was mainly Greater Scaup with some of the usually other ducks like Mallards, Goldeneye and Long-tailed Ducks there was also a couple female Hooded Mergansers. But the hightlight for me was a white-winged Scoter and a Redhead. I have seen these two species before but they are usually far out in the water, so it was nice to finally see them up close.





see more photos here

No comments:

Post a Comment